Your tour begins with a panoramic drive through Belfast. Admire the many stately Victorian and Edwardian buildings, which feature elaborate sculptures over their doors and windows. Peering down from the high ledges of banks and old linen warehouses are carved-stone heads of gods, poets, scientists, kings and queens. You will drive past City Hall, Queens University and Waterfront Hall, stopping for a closer look at some of the city’s more intriguing sights, the political wall murals for which Belfast is famous. Then venture outside the city to the picturesque village of Hillsborough, where you’ll see why this charming town has won numerous awards in the Ulster in Bloom competition. Stop for a visit to Hillsborough Castle. Delight in discovering the local residence of the British royal family and visiting dignitaries. A guided tour of the castle will teach you about the family history of the Marquess of Downshire. Hear about the castle’s role in more recent Northern Ireland history, and see many interesting pieces of furniture and works of art. Afterward, you’ll have time to stroll through the gardens or explore the beautiful village of Hillsborough. It will then be time to take the journey back to your ship.
- Order of sights may vary.
- This tour is not advisable for guests using a wheelchair.
- The visit to the castle involves climbing approximately 15 steps.
- There are banisters if guests need to use them.
- The upper level is not always accessible on the tour.
- There are no benches or chairs available for guests to use.
- Hillsborough Castle can close with little or no notice due to state functions.