Embark on a once in a lifetime adventure discovering the volcanic environs of the Reykjanes peninsula. The adrenalin kicks in pier-side as you board your specially modified super truck – your transportation for today’s volcanic journey. Your first stop is at the perfectly formed (approx. 3,000 yr. old) lava ring/crater of Stóra Eldborg (its name translates as “Big Fire City”) where you will take an invigorating trek up the steep flanks of the crater, enjoying breath-taking views of the lunar-like surroundings on your way to the top. Next on the agenda is a lava-tube caving experience. Following a short drive and subsequent walk over spongy moss and uneven ground – your guide will locate the almost undetectable cave entrance via GPS. Gear up - donning obligatory safety helmets, grab your high beam torch and embark on a journey into the mysterious depths of the Icelandic underworld. Following your lava cave exploration, the next stop is a visit to the bubbling hot springs and fumaroles at the high temperature thermal field of Krýsuvík - located in the middle of the fissure zone which traverses Iceland. Following the visit, it’s time to head to the nearby fishing village of Grindavik where a lobster soup served with freshly baked bread awaits. Once down and back onto tar seal, it’s time to head back to Reykjavik and the ship.
- This tour is only recommended for guests with a high fitness level.
- It is not recommended for pregnant women.
- Please note that due to the substantial walking, hiking and caving included - this tour is a grade 4 hike.
- We reserve the right to modify the running order of the itinerary if necessary.
- Not suitable for guests with back or neck problems.
- Minimum age is 8 years.
- Warm clothing recommended as well as sturdy, closed-toe, non-skid shoes.