Your excursion will begin at the pier at Fort Street Tourism Village, where you’ll board your 4x4 UAZ (SUVs built to traverse mountain terrain). Each UAZ carries four guests, one of whom will be the appointed driver. On your way to the Altun Ha Mayan ruins, you will have a chance to admire the beautiful Belizean countryside. Altun Ha was once a thriving Mayan city. Artifacts of these 2000-year-old ruins were uncovered in the area by workers searching for stone to use to build the Old Northern Highway. These ancient ruins include 13 structures surrounding two plazas, and a 60-foot Temple of the Masonry Altars, an important ceremonial site for the ancient Mayan civilization. Once you reach Altun Ha, you will get a chance to climb to the top of the Temple for a breathtaking panoramic view of the two plazas. Lastly before returning to the pier, you will be served a traditional Belizean box lunch with rice, beans and chicken.
- The minimum age to participate is 7 years old.
- The minimum age to drive is 17 years old with a valid driver’s license.
- The maximum age is 65 years old.
- Pregnant woman and guests with heart conditions, or neck or back injuries are not permitted.
- UAZs are 4-seater vehicles; four guests per vehicle.
- All vehicles have manual transmissions.